Wednesday, May 26, 2010

These Shoes Are Pink

Pink is the universally recognized color that signifies femininity. And, in more contemporary times, a color also used to increase awareness of the need for the prevention and cure of breast cancer.

After reviewing a calendar of 5K events occuring close to the time my training schedule will be completed, I've decided to draw attention to a very worthy cause -- the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on October 16 in Virginia Beach. And this time, I'm going across that finish line one way or another, be it on my feet, on my knees, or on my belly!

Over the course of the next few months, I'll continue to describe my training progress here. But, I'll be looking for inspiration. If you know someone who is a breast cancer patient, please leave a comment telling me her first name and last initial (full name is fine if she is comfortable with that), a description of her experience, and how her courage has affected you! All the names of breast cancer patients and survivors listed on this blog will be printed on my race-day Tshirt. It will be my privilege to take every one of these courageous women with me across the finish line.

Finally, once the race has concluded, I'll make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Foundation in honor of the women whose names are entered in this blog.

Though I may wish for the level of courage demonstrated by these brave women, I'll never be able to fill their shoes. But, I'm hoping to borrow a lot of them over the next few miles...pink ones!

Graphic courtesy of

3 comments:

  1. What a great cause!

    Can I request that you name two wonderful survivors?? One is Linda Mills, my dad's older sister. She beat breast cancer years and years ago, and is currently fighting colon cancer. My Aunt Linda is one of the bravest women I know!

    A second survivor that I know and love is my stepmom's sister, Libby Holter.

    You can read more about them on this blog post I made a while back: http://crazycommamomma.wordpress.com/2009/01/17/no-one-remains-untouched/

    Good luck, Chris! I'll be rootin' for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris- I went to UMBC with Erin (and I STILL completely miss her laugh!)

    Less than a month ago Kaira W., a girl I graduated high school with was diagnosed with breast cancer. 32yrs old with 3 kids all under 6. She immediately decided to have a double mastectomy. Tests were run that found she may not ever get it in the other breast but rather than worry about the future she did what she felt was the best way to protect her and her family's health. I am awed and amazed at her bravery for going through this, and going through it so publicly. She makes sure to get the word out on every step of her journey so that people understand it could happen to them and that we are not too young to get this horrible illness. Kaira found her lump doing her self exams. I ask you to think of her on your journey, draw some strength from her strength and remember to do your monthly self exams!
    Thanks!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the great story you have shared with us. I really get inspiration to face any situation in any condition.
    mbt

    ReplyDelete

To add a comment, type the message you want to appear in the box. Then, select "Name/URL" from the drop down message. It isn't necessary to enter a URL. If you prefer, your comment can be anonymous. Then, click preview if you want to see your post prior to publication, or click "post".